Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> LC_COLLATE=pt_PT sort << EOF
> GABRIEL ALEXANDRE DA SILVA MANICA
> GABRIELA JACOBY NOS
> GABRIELA HELEDA DE SOUZA
> GABRIELA LETICIA BATISTA NUNES
> GABRIEL ALCIDES KLIM PERONDI
> EOF
>
> On my system it outputs the order you show above, which shows that my
> locale is correctly defined per your expectations.

That is absolutely wild.  This will indeed return a space-sensitive sort
under pt_BR, but not under, say, de_DE.  So there is order in this
world! (heh)

This is on Debian, so the original poster has some configuration or
version difference.  Please tell OS version, and the output of "SHOW
lc_collate".

--
Peter Eisentraut