On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Jennifer Spencer
<jenniferm...@hotmail.com>wrote:

>  You are sure that the XID wraparound is gone?  That's good news.  No other
> reasons for vacuum full on the entire database.

   I think we're talking apples and gorillas on the use of the word 'full'.

   There is a command:

  VACUUM FULL;

   When you do that, you lock a table and much hatred reigns upon you from
user-land.

   When you:

    vacuum all databases in a cluster (notice, no 'FULL' here),  (could be
through autovacuum)

      You are doing a vacuum that is capable of operating alongside
transactions.

  XID wrap-around is still an issue, but if you have autovacuum on and you
pay attention to your logs, you'll be okay.

> We could do it a table at a time if we absolutely have to do it, and that
> would minimize down time on the rest of the system.

  No need, see above.

   Also, a quick note about your growth pattern (~ 1 TB / year)

   If you're going to be growing that much, index builds on a TB of data
really stink.  You may want to look into constraint_exclusion partitioning
(maybe by quarter or something easy to chunk up ) would be worth-while.
 When you do need to do index rebuilds, you can:
   A) Do them concurrently
        Rebuilding an index becomes

          CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY my_index_1 ....

          DROP INDEX my_index_0;

           ANALYZE table;

       That way, you aren't blocking during that rebuild.

  B) Your indexes will be a subset of your data, in my example, you'd only be
building one quarter's worth of indexes.

  C) It's possible that after a quarter is over, you won't even need to
reindex because maybe you won't need data from a previous quarter.

Good - glad to be wrong about that!  We do mostly inserts, no updates and
> very few deletes.  We drop entire tables but don't delete often.  We have
> very long rows, though.  Do you think the above is a situation likely to
> create extreme bloat?

  I wonder, what do you use to decide when to reindex?  Under this
situation, it's very possible that you don't need to do it all that often.
 Are you just flying 'willy-nilly' about reindexing things, or is there some
indicator you use?

--Scott