I'm in agreement.  That is a recipe for a failed recovery.

If you must use some file system / volume trickery to get an initial backup
then I would suggest looking into LVM or some similar volume manager.  For
beginners, take a look at the link below.

  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshots_backup.html

The technique does work however if you're using the PostgreSQL PITR backup
method, which is what I am guessing at, then you're only adding overhead and
complexity to the process.

Greg