yes they are all running the same postgres version. - 8.4.5

just as a test this morning - on one of the problem machines, we installed another postgres installation - same version - just pointed it to different paths - copied over the conf files and brought the server up. This time it was the correct timeszone - US/Eastern. The other postgres is set to EST5EDT. When I try to set it to US/Eastern, I get an error...

postgres=# set timezone = 'US/Eastern';
ERROR:  unrecognized time zone name: "US/Eastern"
postgres=#