"Vianello, Daniel A" <daniel.viane...@charter.com> writes:
>> Uh, why would we list \ir before the simpler \i?

> So that the request is to merge \ir into the \i section (not before \i but
> part of that discusstion) rather than being separated by the comparatively
> longer section for \if

It was, in fact, like that initially.  Peter E. changed it in commit
0d9bdbcaae0, without any discussion that I remember seeing.  I've never
been very happy with "alphabetical order trumps all other considerations"
as a documentation rule, and this seems like a good example of why not.

                        regards, tom lane