On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 09:35:25PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2020-03-23 02:27, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Yeah, and I think that's okay as-is, or at least we can't make it better
> > > without fairly whole-sale changes of our documentation practices.
> > > The fact that a table name can be schema-qualified is usually implicit,
> > > and I don't see why this place cries out for making it explicit
> > > more than other places.  You could as well complain that there's
> > > nothing explicit here about double-quoting practices.
> >
> > OK, I will do just the documentation patch for this then.
>
> The same criticism applies to the documentation patch, I think.  We don't
> usually make the schema part explicit.

That is a good point. I used CREATE VIEW as an example because that is
what the user reported, but it seems only create_view and reindexed use
a schema name qualification:

        $ grep  -l '<replaceable>schema</replaceable>' *.sgml
        create_view.sgml
        reindexdb.sgml

The reindexdb use is because of -S (reindex schema), which makes sense.
The create view case is used in an example of CREATE RECURSIVE VIEW and
should probably be removed.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us