Thanks for the quick response.

It’s a clearly useful, simplifying feature. Unless it is likely to be removed
at some point, I propose it should be documented and declared supported
wherever relevant.

In any event, I am happy to prepare some documentation changes that mention
these caveats, but I won’t if there is no chance of it being accepted. Are we
totally opposed?