On 1/12/23 4:32 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
The page at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-trust.html <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-trust.html> goes through some length to explain why Trust is sometimes a good idea.

Is it really though? And in particular, aren't there better choices?

This first case it lists sounds like a good case for "peer" authentication...and the multi-user case it lists also sounds like a goo use for "peer".

The case that I think "trust" is good at, which we don't list, is doing local development / testing of PG.

As a first step, I think we should put a <warning> box on the page explicitly saying that that trust, unless limited in pg_hba, will allow any user to become superuser which allows them to bypass all other security restrictions.

+1

Second, we're kind of going out of our way to recommend setting unix socket permissions etc -- in those cases, wouldn't it in almost every case just be better for the user to use "peer" auth instead of trust, and we should recommend them to use that instead? Is it really any less appropriate and/or convenient? (It was listed as appropriate back in 2001 inĀ 6f0f5bf2fbe, but the world has changed a bit in 20+ years..)

Yeah, I think forwarding folks to the documentation on "peer" is a good idea here. I don't know if we want to keep any language around for historical context "Prior to "peer" auth, "trust" was used for this but on modern systems you can use "peer" instead for better security."

And finally, the sentence "It is seldom reasonable to use trust for any TCP/IP connections other than those from localhost (127.0.0.1)." should probably be amended with an ", and only reasonable for localhost if you trust every single user on the host"?

I'd invert it: "It is not recommended to use "trust" for any TCP/IP (non-local) connection. You should use "trust" with localhost (127.0.0.1) connections only if you trust every single user on that host."

Thoughts? I'll be happy to work up a patch if there's agreement on the general idea.

Reading through this, I'm not shocked there's still a good amount of "trust" prevalent in the wild. I agree with tightening this up.

Jonathan