Postgres v10 on Debian stretch

I’m suffering from an occasionally very slow system. A few weeks ago someone
mentioned using perf. I’ve installed this and caught the system during a slow
period. It shows the following as the top cpu users:

9.09%  postgres                      [.] ReorderBufferGetTupleBuf
6.14%  postgres                      [.] ReorderBufferReturnChange

When ReorderBufferReturnChange is no longer running:

14.35%  postgres                      [.] ReorderBufferGetTupleBuf

Can someone shed some light on this and advise how to prevent it reoccurring?

Cheers,

Martin.