Laurenz Albe <laurenz.a...@cybertec.at> writes:
> Vikas Sharma wrote:
>> On the master I can see multiple postmaster processes from the same data
>> directory.
>> ps -ef |grep -i postgres|grep postm
>> postgres  81440      1  0 Jan31 ?        00:11:37
>> /usr/pgsql-9.4/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data
>> postgres  97072  81440  0 12:17 ?        00:00:00
>> /usr/pgsql-9.4/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data
>> postgres  97074  81440  0 12:17 ?        00:00:00
>> /usr/pgsql-9.4/bin/postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data

> The two other processes are children of the postmaster.
> It is strange that their process title did not get updated.

Seeing that they're showing zero runtime, I bet that these are just-forked
children that have not had time to change their process title yet.
The thing that is strange is that you have a steady enough flow of new
connections that there are usually some children like that.

> The "incomplete startup packet" is caused by processes that connect to the
> PostgreSQL TCP port, but don't complete a database connection.
> Often these are monitoring or load balancing programs.

Putting two and two together, you have some monitoring program that is
hitting the postmaster with a constant stream of TCP connection requests
none of which get completed, resulting in a whole lot of useless fork
activity.  Dial down the monitoring.

                        regards, tom lane