On 04/16/2018 10:18 AM, Keith Fiske wrote:

So playing around with the "client_encoding" configuration option in postgresql.conf. According to the docs, setting this should set the default encoding for any client that connects, right?

For any client that does not set a client_encoding when it connects.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-CLIENT-ENCODING <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/runtime-config-client.html#GUC-CLIENT-ENCODING>

That description also seems misleading in saying that the default client encoding is what the database encoding is as well. At least as far as psql is concerned, right? I've tried setting that value in postgresql.conf but psql keeps setting it to UTF8 when I connect to the SQL_ASCII database unless I then specifically run "set client_encoding = 'SQL_ASCII';"

That is due to this:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/app-psql.html

"If both standard input and standard output are a terminal, then psql sets the client encoding to “auto”, which will detect the appropriate client encoding from the locale settings (LC_CTYPE environment variable on Unix systems). If this doesn't work out as expected, the client encoding can be overridden using the environment variable PGCLIENTENCODING."

If you want to override set the PGCLIENTENCODING env variable to SQL_ASCII.

--
Keith Fiske
Senior Database Engineer

--