I have a Postgres instance running on my Windows laptop for testing purposes.

I typically configure "shared_buffers = 4096MB" on my 16GB system as sometimes
when testing, it pays off to have a bigger cache.

With Postgres 10 and earlier, the Postgres process(es) would only allocate that
memory from the operating system when needed.
So right after startup, it would only consume several hundred MB, not the
entire 4GB

However with Postgres 11 I noticed that it immediately grabs the complete
memory configured for shared_buffers during startup.

It's not really a big deal, but I wonder if that is an intentional change or a
result from something else?

Regards
Thomas