On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 3:09 PM Ron <ronljohnso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> v9.6.9
>
> Why is pg_restore trying to drop my production database, when I (think I)
> am telling it to create the new database "Molson"?

Straight from the pg_restore documentation:

-C

"When this option is used, the database named with -d is used only to issue
the initial DROP DATABASE and CREATE DATABASE commands. All data is
restored into the database name that appears in the archive."

Also
" pg_restore -vcC --if-exists --jobs=8 -d postgres Molson "

pg_restore [connection-option...] [option...] [filename]

"Molson" is a file name; pg_restore doesn't use the file name aside from
finding where the data you want to restore is located.

David J.