On 11/12/18 1:58 PM, David wrote:

Please reply to list also.
Ccing list

Yes, that's what I get for writing emails while I'm doing 5 other things at the same time.  So, let me try this again.
pg_dump is working when I use the following:
pg_dump -U postgres -F d -f /pgbackup/prod/data -v --section=data prod_data
To be clear, prod_data is the name of the database.
This works fine, I get /pgbackup/prod/data created and populated by compressed files, as advertised.

How to I restore this?  Is there a specific combination of command line options for this format?
I've tried -d prod_data and -f /pgbackup/prod/data -F d, but I get an error:
options -d and -f cannot be used together.

So I take -d off the command line and I get
[directory archiver] no output directory specified.
and if I use this I get nothing at all
pg_restore -U postgres -f /pgbackup/prod/data -v

So I'm confused.

Enlightenment:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/app-pgrestore.html

-f filename
--file=filename

Specify output file for generated script, or for the listing when used with -l. Default is the standard output.

-d dbname
--dbname=dbname

    Connect to database dbname and restore directly into the database.

filename

Specifies the location of the archive file (or directory, for a directory-format archive) to be restored. If not specified, the standard input is used.

So something like:

pg_restore -U postgres -v -d prod_data /pgbackup/prod/data

thanks again.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 4:39 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.kla...@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.kla...@aklaver.com>> wrote:

    On 11/12/18 11:39 AM, David wrote:
     > I'm not following your question.  The pre-data and post-data
    sections
     > each go to an individual file, but the data section goes to a
     > directory.  I can restore the files using psql, but it is the
    restore of
     > the directory that is hanging.

    That is not what you showed in your OP:

    This pg_dump command works:
    pg_dump -U postgres -f predata.sql -F p -v  -d prod_data

    But a matching pg_restore command does nothing.
    pg_restore -U postgres -f predata.sql -v

    We would need to see the commands for data section to be able to
    comment
    further.

    <robjsarg...@gmail.com <mailto:robjsarg...@gmail.com>

    <mailto:dlbarro...@gmail.com <mailto:dlbarro...@gmail.com>>> writes:
     >      >> I have some experience with different versions of
    Postgres, but
     >     I'm just
     >      >> getting around to using pg_restore, and it's not working
    for me
     >     at all.
     >      >> ...
     >      >> But a matching pg_restore command does nothing.
     >      >> pg_restore -U postgres -f predata.sql -v
     >      > This command expects to read from stdin and write to
    predata.sql, so
     >      > it's not surprising that it's just sitting there.  What
    you want
     >      > is something along the lines of
     >      >
     >      > pg_restore -U postgres -d dbname -v <predata.sql
     >      >
     >      >                       regards, tom lane
     >      >
     >
     >     In this case, does the "General options" -f make sense?
    restoring to
     >     a file?

-- Adrian Klaverfile:///usr/share/applications/thunderbird.desktop
    adrian.kla...@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.kla...@aklaver.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com