I have asked this question before and apologize for not remembering it.  How do
you do simple division in postgres and get 10/4 with decimals?

This involves cast and numeric in odd ways that are not well explained in the
documentation. For instance, you’d expect an example in the Mathematical
Functions. But there isn’t.

The documentation of string functions is exemplary. The documentation of
mathematical less so. Remember that it may be used by folks like me whose math
is shaky. The MySQL documentation is better on this simple operation.

-----
Martin Mueller
Professor emeritus of English and Classics
Northwestern University