I'm fairly new to Postgres, but one question is how node.js implements the
native driver when fetching the data: fetchall, fetchmany or fetch.single?
Also which native driver is it using?
Does the native driver do a round trip for each record fetched, or can it
batch them into multiples?

For example, in the Oracle native driver (for Python, in my case), setting
the cursor arraysize makes a huge performance difference when pulling back
large datasets.
Pulling back 800k + records through a cursor on  a remote machine with the
default arraysize was way too long(3 hours before I canceled it).
Upping the arraysize to 800 dropped that to around 40 minutes, including
database structure to be handled).
This is on low-level test equipment.

This is a relevant issue for us, as we well be developing a new front end
to our application. and we still haven't finalized the architecture.
The backend build to date uses Python / Postgres.  Python/Flask is one
option, possibly serving the data to Android / web via JSON / REST.
Another option is to query directly from node.js and get JSON or native
query from the database (extensive use of functions / stored procedures).

Our application is data-intensive, involving a lot of geotracking data
across hundreds of devices at it's core, and then quite a bit of
geo/mapping/ analytics around that..