On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 3:25 PM Rob Sargent <robjsarg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >                                                                  ^
> >> Miss-matched single quotes in activities.sql?
> >
> > Rob,
> >
> >   I don't see the mis-match. The preceeding text column escapes the
> > internal
> > single quotes by doubling them while the entire string is single quoted.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Rich
> >
> We don't have more context in "activities.sql" but if your OP was
> verbatim, it's keeling over on the comma ending the long text string.
> Something syntactically askew I think.
>
> I think the problem is actually that you're trying to represent your NULL
dates with '', which PG doesn't like.

cat test.csv

my_text,my_date,my_int
'Some Text','1/1/18',3
'More Text,,2
'Enough','',1

CREATE TEMP TABLE my_test (my_text TEXT, my_date DATE, my_int INT);

\copy my_test FROM test.csv WITH CSV HEADER

ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type date: "''"
CONTEXT:  COPY my_test, line 4, column my_date: "''"

You'll note that it breaks on the last line, which is like yours, not
the one before it.

I think there may be some other ways to specify the NULL value, but
I'm not really sure about that part.

Cheers,

Ken

--