Nicola,

My previous mail was maybe misleading because when i mentioned
'connections' I actually meant active connections to the db, as in:
doing a transaction.
In that case, yes, the connections are shared. But as soon as they
initiate a transaction, then they are not shared any longer and a new
pgbouncer connection is spawn to the database. Alternatively, the client
cannot be served and has to wait.

I hope my example reported here below will clarify the situation:

---
pgbouncer setting:

test_db   = host=... dbname=... user=... pool_size=2

[pgbouncer]
pool_mode = session

max_client_conn = 10
default_pool_size = 5
min_pool_size = 4
reserve_pool_size = 3
---

With above configuration, this is what 'show pools' on pgbouncer shows
when clients are not using pgbouncer:

database   | test_db
user       | xx
cl_active  | 0
cl_waiting | 0
sv_active  | 0
sv_idle    | 0
sv_used    | 2
sv_tested  | 0
sv_login   | 0
maxwait    | 0
maxwait_us | 0
pool_mode  | session

2 servers used, as specified by pool_size

means: 2 TCP connections open to the db

 netstat --tcp -n |grep 5432 | | grep EST | wc -l
2

if you remove pool_size from the database string, then config becomes:

test_db   = host=... dbname=... user=...

---
[pgbouncer]
pool_mode = session

max_client_conn = 10
default_pool_size = 5
min_pool_size = 4
reserve_pool_size = 3
---

therefore:

database   | test_db
user       | xx
cl_active  | 0
cl_waiting | 0
sv_active  | 0
sv_idle    | 0
sv_used    | 4
sv_tested  | 0
sv_login   | 0
maxwait    | 0
maxwait_us | 0
pool_mode  | session

netstat --tcp -n |grep EST | grep 5432 | wc -l
4

what we learned: pool_size overwrites min_pool_size

Now, I m restoring pool_size to 2 as we had in the beginning, and
checking how many connections we can open to pgbouncer..

We now have 2 connections always available.

i therefore open open 2 connections to the database. I only connect, and
leave them idle. This is confirmed by the

-[ RECORD 2 ]---------
database   | test_db
user       | xx
cl_active  | 2
cl_waiting | 0
sv_active  | 0
sv_idle    | 0
sv_used    | 2
sv_tested  | 0
sv_login   | 0
maxwait    | 0
maxwait_us | 0
pool_mode  | session

so, now, 2 server connections are open. If I open one more, then you are
sharing the connections, as David mentioned.

-[ RECORD 2 ]---------
database   | test_db
user       | xx
cl_active  | 3
cl_waiting | 0
sv_active  | 0
sv_idle    | 0
sv_used    | 2
sv_tested  | 0
sv_login   | 0
maxwait    | 0
maxwait_us | 0
pool_mode  | session

We can see 3 clients active, and 2 connections to the db.

and netstat will count 2 TCP connections only.

If instead you ask your clients to initiate a database transaction, for
instance typing 'BEGIN ;' then you will actually see what i meant in my
previous mail:

database   | test_db
user       | xx
cl_active  | 3
cl_waiting | 0
sv_active  | 3
sv_idle    | 0
sv_used    | 0
sv_tested  | 0
sv_login   | 0
maxwait    | 0
maxwait_us | 0
pool_mode  | session

and netstat will show 3 open connections to your db

how many connections can you possibly open to the database?

pool_size + reserve_pool_size = 5 in my example.

how many connections can you make to pgbouncer? a total (globally,
including to pgbouncer db) of max_client_conn

that means, 'cl_active' can go up to 10 in my example, but as soon as
the 6th client initiates a transaction, it cannot be served and has to
wait for a connection to be freed.

regards,

fabio pardi