On 3/23/19 8:42 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Igor Korot <ikoro...@gmail.com> writes:
igor@solaris:/usr$ sudo bunzip2 < postgresql-9.6.1-S11.i386-64.tar.bz2
| tar xpf -

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 9:25 AM Ron <ronljohnso...@gmail.com> wrote:
Off hand I would say the user you are running as does not have the permissions
to unpack the tarball in the location you have selected.

You mean even running as "sudo"?

In the above, the "sudo" raises the permissions of the bunzip2 program
(quite uselessly, AFAICS), while doing nothing for the tar program in
the other pipe step.  Put the "sudo" in the other pipe step.

(This is assuming that unpacking straight into /usr is actually what
you want to do.  I share the doubts of the other responders about
that being a wise procedure.)

It is what the README says:

https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v9.6.1/solaris/solaris11/i386/

"The files will be installed in directories under
'postgres/9.6-pgdg', so if you install under /usr they will be at
locations similar to any PostgreSQL in Solaris."

                        regards, tom lane

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com