On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 5:31 AM Andrew Dunstan <
andrew.duns...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> And yet another is to
> raise an exception, which is easy to write but really punts the issue
> back to the application programmer who will have to decide how to ensure
> they never pass in a NULL parameter.

That's kinda the point - if they never pass NULL they won't encounter any
problems but as soon as the data and their application don't see eye-to-eye
the application developer has to decide what they want to do about it.  We
are in no position to decide for them and making it obvious they have a
decision to make and implement here doesn't seem like a improper position
to take.

> Possibly we could even add an extra
> parameter to specify what should be done.

Has appeal.

> Should we return NULL in those cases as we do now?

Probably the same thing - though I'd accept having the input json being
null result in the output json being null as well.

David J.