On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 1:46 PM stan <st...@panix.com> wrote:

> I am trying to set up to do some work with pg_dump, and I would like to be
> able to connect from my normal user to do this. This is on a Ubunt 18.04
> installation. I have added the follwing to pg_hba.conf:
>
> host    all             all             0.0.0.0/0               md5
> hostssl all             all             0.0.0.0/0               md5
>
> But when I try to login like this:
>
> psql stan postgres -W
>
> I get the following error, and yes, I set postgres'es password to something
> I know:
>
> tan@stantest:~$ psql stan postgres -W
> Password:
> psql: error: could not connect to server: FATAL:  Peer authentication
> failed for user "postgres"
> stan@stantest:~$
>
> What am I doing wrong?

By default, Debian has a row in pg_hba.conf that enforces peer specifically
for the postgres superuser when connecting over unix sockets (which is a
very good thing from a security perspective). You will have to find that
row further up in the file and comment it out (since the first row that
matches will be used).

//Magnus