That's why I created a virtual_string function to squeeze out everything but alpha characters and numbers 0-9 from any varchar or text columns that I want to use as business key columns. For example, if I have a column named job_name, I will have a companion column named v_job_name. The v_ column is to replicate Oracle's virtual column, since postgres doesn't have it. You don't put any values in the v_ column directly. I simply have a trigger on insert or update to put the value in the v_job_name column using the virtual_string(new.job_name) function. It's the v_job_name column that use in my unique constraint so that I avoid any unexpected sorting. Meanwhile, my job_name column is still human readable with whatever characters I want to see, including diacritics.

Here is my function, if you want to try it out:

create or replace function store.virtual_string(string_in text)
returns text as
$body$
        declare
                l_return text;
        begin
l_return := regexp_replace (lower(unaccent(string_in)),'[^0-9a-z]','','g');
                return l_return;
        end;
$body$
  language plpgsql volatile security definer
;

Sue

---
Susan E Hurst