> On Feb 20, 2020, at 22:23, Daulat Ram <daulat....@exponential.com> wrote:
>
> That will be great if you  share any doc where it’s mentioned that we can’t
> use multiple tablespace for a single database. I have to assist my Dev team
> regarding tablespaces.

A single PostgreSQL database can have any number of tablespaces.  Each table
has to be in one specific tablespace, although a table can be in one tablespace
and its indexes in a different one.

If a PostgreSQL table is partitioned, each partition can be in a different
tablespace.

Oracle "style" tends to involve a lot of tablespaces in a database; this is
much less commonly done in PostgreSQL.  In general, you only need to create
tablespace in a small number of circumstances:

(a) You need more space than the current database volume allows, and moving the
database to a larger volume is inconvenient;
(b) You have multiple volumes with significantly different access
characteristics (like an HDD array and some SSDs), and you want to distribute
database objects to take advantage of that (for example, put commonly-used
large indexes on the SSDs).

PostgreSQL tablespaces do increase the administrative overhead of the database,
and shouldn't be created unless there is a compelling need for them./

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   x...@thebuild.com