On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 4:28 PM Tiffany Thang <tiffanyth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a way in PostgreSQL 12 to restrict user to creating a database
> with a specific database name?
>
> For example, userA can only create a database with a name called mydb. Any
> other names would generate an error.
>
> If that is not possible, will it be possible then to limit userA to
> creating only one database? Granting the createdb privilege would allow the
> user to create any  number of databases which I want to avoid.

No.  Though you could prevent them from being able to connect to unexpected
databases via the pg_hba.conf file.

Why does userA need create database privileges?

You could just have them log into an admin database and run a function that
creates the database for them using function owner privileges then you can
add whatever special logic you want to that function.

David J.