On 7/14/20 9:01 AM, Marc Millas wrote:
Hi,
your answer helps me understand my first problem.
so, I rewrote a simple loop so as to avoid the "volatile" behaviour.
(at least I was thinking I did... looks like I was wrong !)
step by step loop:
DO $$
BEGIN
   FOR counter IN 1..1000 LOOP
begin
declare
id1 integer =ceiling(random()*2582);
id3 date= '2000-01-01';
id2 date;
pren varchar;
begin
id2=id3 + (random()*7200)::integer;
SELECT prenom FROM prenoms WHERE id=id1 into pren;
INSERT INTO testparttransac (datenaissance, prenoms) values(id2,pren);
   end;
end;
END LOOP;
END; $$;

I truncated the table, executed the loop with no errors, and expected that a select count(*)
may answer 1000 !
no.
it varies, from less than 1000 (much less, something like 900)
and more than 1000 (up to 1094)

so... what s "volatile" in the loop ?

I think it has more to do with the structure of the function. Not sure how all those nested BEGINs interact, but when I simplify the above to:

DO $$

DECLARE
    id1 integer =ceiling(random()*2582);
    id3 date= '2000-01-01';
    id2 date;
    pren varchar = 'test';
BEGIN

FOR counter IN 1..1000 LOOP
    id2 = id3 + (random()*7200)::integer;
    INSERT INTO testparttransac (datenaissance, prenoms) values(id2,pren);
END LOOP;
END; $$;

I get 1000 rows each time I TRUNCATE testparttransac and then run above and repeat.

BTW the testparttransac table is partitioned on datenaissance, with a default partition.

thanks,
regards,

Marc MILLAS
Senior Architect