but my question still remains the same - what causes pg_upgrade failure - are
functions the reason? what I did was to delete these 2 rows from pg_pltemplate
as I thought this may help:

postgres=# delete from pg_pltemplate where tmplname = 'plpython2u';
DELETE 1
postgres=# delete from pg_pltemplate where tmplname = 'plpythonu';
DELETE 1

but pg_upgrade still complains about plpython2:

cat loadable_libraries.txt
could not load library "$libdir/plpython2": ERROR: could not access file
"$libdir/plpython2": No such file or directory
In database: alaxx
In database: template1

marcin@carbon2:~$ psql -U pgsql -h 192.168.89.64 alaxx
psql (12.4 (Ubuntu 12.4-1))
Type "help" for help.

argosrm=# select * from pg_pltemplate ;
tmplname | tmpltrusted | tmpldbacreate | tmplhandler | tmplinline |
tmplvalidator | tmpllibrary | tmplacl
------------+-------------+---------------+------------------------+--------------------------+---------------------+-------------------+---------

plpgsql | t | t | plpgsql_call_handler | plpgsql_inline_handler |
plpgsql_validator | $libdir/plpgsql |
pltcl | t | t | pltcl_call_handler | | | $libdir/pltcl |
pltclu | f | f | pltclu_call_handler | | | $libdir/pltcl |
plperl | t | t | plperl_call_handler | plperl_inline_handler | plperl_validator
| $libdir/plperl |
plperlu | f | f | plperlu_call_handler | plperlu_inline_handler |
plperlu_validator | $libdir/plperl |
plpython3u | f | f | plpython3_call_handler | plpython3_inline_handler |
plpython3_validator | $libdir/plpython3 |
(6 rows)

argosrm=# \q
marcin@carbon2:~$ psql -U pgsql -h 192.168.89.64 template1
psql (12.4 (Ubuntu 12.4-1))
Type "help" for help.

template1=# select * from pg_pltemplate ;
tmplname | tmpltrusted | tmpldbacreate | tmplhandler | tmplinline |
tmplvalidator | tmpllibrary | tmplacl
------------+-------------+---------------+------------------------+--------------------------+---------------------+-------------------+---------

plpgsql | t | t | plpgsql_call_handler | plpgsql_inline_handler |
plpgsql_validator | $libdir/plpgsql |
pltcl | t | t | pltcl_call_handler | | | $libdir/pltcl |
pltclu | f | f | pltclu_call_handler | | | $libdir/pltcl |
plperl | t | t | plperl_call_handler | plperl_inline_handler | plperl_validator
| $libdir/plperl |
plperlu | f | f | plperlu_call_handler | plperlu_inline_handler |
plperlu_validator | $libdir/plperl |
plpython3u | f | f | plpython3_call_handler | plpython3_inline_handler |
plpython3_validator | $libdir/plpython3 |
(6 rows)

what can I do next ?

Thx
Marcin