Abdul Qoyyuum:
Wouldnt you need to connect to the database first before you can ALTER ROLE anything?

Of course, otherwise the notion of "current database" wouldn't make sense at all. But that's only before executing the code. I am not writing and executing this code at the same time.

In my case I'm seeding a postgres docker container with settings and data on first launch. The database name is passed to the container via environment variable. But, I'm sure there are other use-cases where code should be written once, but be executed in different databases.

Best,

Wolfgang