> br...@momjian.us wrote:
>
> Oh, I thought he wanted to declare a function inside the function that could
> be called only by that function, like private functions in Oracle packages
> can do.  Yes, you can create a function that defines a function that can be
> called later.  I guess you could also create a function that _conditionally_
> creates a function that it can call itself too.  My point is that you can't
> create a function that has function scope — they all have schema scope.

I’ve heard that EDB’s version of PostgreSQL supports inner subprograms
(declared and defined within a DECLARE section) to any depth of nesting—and
packages too. Is this true?

I worked at Oracle HQ for the longest time. Not a day goes by, when I need to
write PL/pgSQL code, that I don’t miss these two constructs. I wish that (a
future version of) vanilla PG could bring support for them.