Let say that I have a database named stp. I also have another database named geo that is a PostGIS database for storing geopolitical and geospatial data. I want to set up a foreign data wrapper in stp to connect to geo, so that for each address in stp, I only have to store the primary key value of the lowest level geo unit, such as a city. I can always display the city's county, state, country, whatever in views in stp. I plan to have other databases that need geo data so I want a single source of truth for geopolitical and geospatial data.

My questions are:
1. Do I have to install PostGIS in stp?....or is it sufficient to install PostGIS only in geo? 2. Do I need the postgis extension in stp? (I'm thinking yes, but I don't want to guess.) 3. I want to geocode addresses in stp. Do I need to install any geocoding software in stp?...or can it be used from geo?

Thanks for your help!

Sue

--
Susan E Hurst