On 11/10/22 23:29, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 11:13 PM Rob Sargent <robjsarg...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Short version: Does a current version of postgres tolerate ascii
    dumps from older versions?

    I've been charged with reviving an old project.  I have a dump
    dated July of 2021 which file tells me is a "PostgreSQL custom
    database dump V1.13-0".  If our compute centre won't roll me a
    V12(?) postgres server, I'll need to use an "office" machine to
    bring this dataset back to life.  If I pull that off can I make an
    ascii dump and import that into our main db server (V14) or will I
    have to also install V14 in the office and dump/restore with that?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/app-pgdump.html

You should read the description and notes sections for how this command works and its capabilities and potential limitations.

David J.

Off by one error here perhaps:  I have a custom dump in hand, it's restoring that is the problem.  But pretty sure the take home from pg_restore is "Use the newer version both ways".  Though mildly amused at the

   ;     Dumped from database version: 8.3.5
   ;     Dumped by pg_dump version: 8.3.8

in the re-ordering example!