On Mar 13, 2023, at 11:10 AM, Joe Conway <m...@joeconway.com> wrote:

> On 3/13/23 14:50, Israel Brewster wrote:
>> Looks like V2:
>> root@novarupta:~# stat -fc %T /sys/fs/cgroup/
>> cgroup2fs
>
> Interesting -- it does indeed look like you are using cgroup v2
>
> So the file you want to look at in that case is:
> 8<-----------
> cat
> /sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/system-postgresql.slice/postgresql@14.service/memory.max
> 4294967296
>
> cat
> /sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/system-postgresql.slice/postgresql@14.service/memory.high
> 3221225472
> 8<-----------
> If the value comes back as "max" it means no limit is set.

This does, in fact, appear to be the case here:

root@novarupta:~# cat
/sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/system-postgresql.slice/postgresql@13-main.service/memory.max

max
root@novarupta:~# cat
/sys/fs/cgroup/system.slice/system-postgresql.slice/postgresql@13-main.service/memory.high

max
root@novarupta:~#

which would presumably indicate that it’s a system level limit being exceeded,
rather than a postgresql specific one? The syslog specifically says "Memory
cgroup out of memory”, if that means something (this is my first exposure to
cgroups, if you couldn’t tell).
---
Israel Brewster
Software Engineer