Marc MILLAS

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 12:43 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas.von...@enterprisedb.com>
wrote:

> On 6/21/23 00:26, Marc Millas wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 11:19 PM David Rowley <dgrowle...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:dgrowle...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 at 08:34, Marc Millas <marc.mil...@mokadb.com
> >     <mailto:marc.mil...@mokadb.com>> wrote:
> >     >
> >     > On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 10:14 PM David Rowley
> >     <dgrowle...@gmail.com <mailto:dgrowle...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     >>
> >     >> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 at 07:42, Marc Millas <marc.mil...@mokadb.com
> >     <mailto:marc.mil...@mokadb.com>> wrote:
> >     >> > But if I do the same with clause one OR clause 2, I have to
> >     kill the request after an hour, seeing the filesystem showing more
> >     than 140 Mb of increased usage.
>
> It's a bit weird the "victor" table is joined seemingly without any join
> conditions, leading to a cross join (which massively inflates the cost
> for joins above it). Maybe the anonymized plan mangles it somehow.

So I did try to simplify my pb.
I create a table with the result of the first 3 joins.
That table do have 15M lines. all tables have been vacuum analyze

Now if I do an explain analyze of a simple join between that table and my
original table 4
using a simple = clause, I get a result in one second (around). and the
planner guesses for rows seems in line with the observed values .
if I use a substr(table1.a)= table2.b, the explain analyze get a result in
21 seconds and the planner estimates a 65M rows result set while the
observed is 330 k rows
so here its 20 times slower and the discrepency between planner rows guess
and reality is a 200 ratio.

Now, if I try an explain analyze with join on a=b or substr(c)=d or e=f
then... I kill the query after a quarter an hour without any answer.
if I try to just explain the query, the planner rows guess becomes more
than 2 Billions....
the extremely simple query and plan are here, without automatic obfuscation
https://explain.depesz.com/s/b8Ll

> regards
>
> --
> Tomas Vondra