Hi

> As it happens, Oracle's PL/SQL has a "goto" statement. But PL/pgSQL does
> not. (I assume that this is because "goto" is considered a bad thing.) But
> PL/SQL programmers do use it. However, the doc section:

The reason why PL/pgSQL has not "goto" statement is mainly technological.
PL/pgSQL is an interpreter of high level commands.  For this kind of
interpreter the "goto" - unstructured jump cannot be effectively
implemented. PL/pgSQL is very simple, and relatively fast (expressions are
slow due evaluation by SQL executor), but "goto" cannot be implemented
there. Interpreter of PL/pgSQL is very different from the more usual p-code
interpreter

Regards

Pavel