List,

I am in need to copy a production PostgreSQL server  data( 1 TB)  to  an
external storage( Say USB Hard Drive) and need to set up a backup server
with this data dir.

What is the trivial method to achieve this ??

1. Is Sqldump an option at a production server ?? (  Will this affect the
server performance  and possible slowdown of the production server ? This
server has a high IOPS). This much size 1.2 TB will the Sqldump support ?
Any bottlenecks ?

2. Is copying the data directory from the production server to an external
storage and replace the data dir  at a  backup server with same postgres
version and replace it's data directory with this data dir copy is a viable
option ?

# cp  -r   ./data  /media/mydb_backup  ( Does this affect the Production
database server performance ??)   due to the copy command overhead ?

OR  doing a WAL Replication Configuration to a standby is the right method
to achieve this ??

 This is to take out the database backup outside the Datacenter and our DC
policy won't allow us to establish a network connection outside the DC to a
remote location for WAL replication .

Any hints most welcome ..

Thank you
Krishane