On Thu, 2023-11-30 at 21:08 -0500, Jeff Gerbracht wrote:
> It would be great if there was a way to set exceptions to the 'word'
> delimiter list used in
> the INITCAP() function.    For example, I have hyphenated words like
> blue-green or
> possessives and contractions like don't and cat's tail
> These become Blue-Green, Don'T and Cat'S Tail.
>
> Being able to pass in a set of delimiter exceptions like hyphen and single
> quote would make
> this function much more useful for our specific use cases.

That would pretty quickly drift into locale-dependent rules.  Such a function
would be even
more special-case than the current "initcap()", which is already pretty
specific to certain
languages.  I don't know if there is enough value for the general public in it.

But it should be easy to implement it yourself, for example in PL/pgSQL.  Why
don't you
try that?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe