On 7/24/07, Gregory Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Dawid Kuroczko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Now, if we:
>
> # EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT t FROM foo WHERE t='X17';
>                                            QUERY PLAN

> Seq Scan on foo  (cost=0.00..18025.78 rows=1 width=8) (actual
> time=0.079..565.661 rows=1 loops=1)
>   Filter: ((t)::text = 'X17'::text)
> Total runtime: 565.689 ms
>

> # EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT t FROM foo WHERE t='X17';
>                      QUERY PLAN
> Seq Scan on foo  (cost=0.00..178.00 rows=50 width=68)
>   Filter: ((t)::text = 'X17'::text)
> (2 rows)

I still think you're playing games with the output. a) This is not an EXPLAIN
ANALYZE at all, there are no "actual" values. And b) there's no explanation
for why the estimates should be different for this query than the previous,
identical, query.

My mistake, copy&paste error.

Send along the actual psql session, not an edited version.

Actual session is attached.

If I may suggest it -- try to run the queries yourself.  You will find
the problem
lies not in the statistics.

  Regards,
     Dawid