Ok, partial day results.  Looks like my changes have not solved the problem,
just spread it out a little more (as would be expected based on your
(maybe 1x / minute).  The params I used are:

bgwriter_lru_percent = 5.0
bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 100
bgwriter_all_percent = 5.0
bgwriter_all_maxpages = 100
wal_buffers = 20

checkpoint_segments = 10
shared_buffers = 196608

I'm going to do some reading today/tonight with the docs/links you have
provided and give it another shot on Monday.  Right now I'm leaning towards
lowering my shared_buffers param as you suggested as third possibility.  I will
also take a look at the buffer cache data to get a better feel.

It seems to me that the real solution is for me to stop using the database as
an IPC system to pass somewhat time-critical data between processes.  Given the
time constraints I'm working under this unfortunately was the quickest route.

Again, I can't say thanks enough for the great info you have provided.  I'll
continue to post any changes/results I make/see.

Marc

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend