Hi -

I know that the foreign key machinery will use an index on the referring column if one exists. My question is whether it will use a composite index? For instance:

create table allLemmaSenseMap (
  wordID     integer references allLemmas,
  senseID    integer references allSenses,
  primary key (wordID, senseID)
);

If I delete something from allLemmas, will the FK check use the PK index above? (I know I should at least have an index on senseID as well, because of the other foreign key.)

As a secondary question, is there any way I could have answered this myself, using analyze, the system catalogs, etc? ANALYZE DELETE doesn't seem to show the FK checking that must go on behind the scenes.

Thanks.

- John D. Burger
  MITRE