Chander Ganesan wrote:
Jeremy Harris wrote:
Version:
PostgreSQL 8.2.4 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20070418 (Red Hat 4.1.2-10)

We have one problematic table, which has a steady stream of entries
and a weekly mass-delete of ancient history.  The "bloat" query from
Greg Sabino Mullane (thanks to Greg Smith for pointing it out) returns:
Inserts don't generate dead tuples, and AVD looks at obsolete tuples.. As such, I wouldn't expect AVD to kick off until after you did a mass delete...assuming that delete was sizable enough to trigger a vacuum.

Ah, that would explain it - thankyou.   So I need to retreat to
the question of why the weekly vacuum permits the observed bloat.
Any ideas?   More information that I could gather?

Thanks,
  Jeremy