Jozef Ševčík wrote:
Hi all,

I just switched from MS SQL to PostgreSQL on project and have
question about double-quoting names of fields/tables regarding to
performance.

If the cost of quoting column-names is a significant part of your query costs, you must have some very fast queries. I would not worry.

In MSSQL I had something like: SELECT Column1,Column2 from MyTable

In PgSQL I write: SELECT "Column1", "Column2" from "MyTable"

Which is fine and working, I have no doubt about it. I'm just
guessing if this does not affect performance in any way. I know I may
rename tables/fields to lowercase and avoid double-quotting, but it
double-quotting has no affect on perf. is it worth it ? Or are there
any advantages of using 'non-quoted' identifiers agains double-quoted

If you double-quote identifiers when you create them you'll want to double-quote them everywhere they are used. That's OK with a new sytem, but can be awkward if you have a lot of existing code that isn't already quoted.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd