forget it..... I am really sorry about that.
it works for me, too.

when I did :

dbname=> \d pg_database
    Table "pg_catalog.pg_database"
    Column     |   Type    | Modifiers
---------------+-----------+-----------
 datname       | name      | not null
 datdba        | oid       | not null
 encoding      | integer   | not null
 datistemplate | boolean   | not null
 datallowconn  | boolean   | not null
 datconnlimit  | integer   | not null
 datlastsysoid | oid       | not null
 datfrozenxid  | xid       | not null
 dattablespace | oid       | not null
 datconfig     | text[]    |
 datacl        | aclitem[] |
"pg_database_datname_index" UNIQUE, btree (datname), tablespace "pg_global"
    "pg_database_oid_index" UNIQUE, btree (oid), tablespace "pg_global"
Triggers:
pg_sync_pg_database AFTER INSERT OR DELETE OR UPDATE ON pg_database FOR EACH STATEMENT EXECUTE PROCEDURE flatfile_update_trigger()
Tablespace: "pg_global"

I didn't find the Column "oid", I take granted to think it may not work, but I didn't issue a command to have a try.

Really sorry about that.

But the question is, why there's no column named "oid" and it still works?

Thanks,
Justin

Tom Lane wrote:
Justin Yao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
In PostgreSQL 7.x, I can use SQL:
select datname, oid from pg_database
to find out the numeric directory name under $PGDATA/base for each database. But it doesn't work for PostgreSQL 8.3.

It works for me ... what problem are you having?

                        regards, tom lane