For an alternative view of the security argument, which may be a little off topic...

One consideration in regard to arguments for additional security, whether column and row level security or the divergent thread on obfuscated stored procedures is whether postgresql currently supports PCI (international), Basel II (EU - international) and Sarbanes-Oxley (US) requirements for restricted access, logging and differentiation of roles and responsibilities, or whether the additional security is required to provide better matching support. These are important considerations in the corporate, and especially financial institutions, though I would suspect that postgresql does not have great penetration into such organisations.

In my mind, postgresql as is, in combination with application design considerations and OS level security, does support PCI, Basel II and Sarbanes-Oxley security requirements. However, I thought I would bring this up as some people may have different interpretations on what it means to be compliant to these standards and regulations, and may have a convincing argument for their case based on what is needed to support them.

This is assuming that the postgresql development community see any value in being seen to be enablers of PCI, Basel II or Sarbanes-Oxley requirements. Many commercial version control systems and database systems now throw in Sarbanes-Oxley compliant in their advertising, though I have not seen any open source applications do so (which doesn't mean that they haven't), and personally I think it is a somewhat misrepresentative to imply that the application itself makes you compliant.

If interested, the following are the relevant Wikipedia links, with references to the standards and regulations themselves:
PCI:         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_DSS
Basel II:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_II
SOX:      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes-oxley

Not that any of these regulations have done much to avert the market turmoil of the last few months, despite the bureaucratic overhead that they generated... But that is another story.

Cheers,

Andy