On Feb 3, 2009, at 3:41 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:

What about postgreSQL's inability to re-order columns?

Please don't point out that I shouldn't rely on things being in a
certain order when I SELECT * FROM table. I'm well aware of that, I
just generally have an aesthetic preference for a table's columns
being in a certain order.

Somewhat related, it would be nice if columns had a unique identifier in the catalog rather than just a sequence number for the table. This would make it possible to distinguish between altering a column versus dropping/adding when comparing schemas or detecting DDL changes.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.