On 2/12/2009 11:35 PM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
(please use text only email to the list)

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Sam Jas<samja...@yahoo.com>  wrote:

We are getting the below errors after 20 or 25 days of database creation.

ERROR: could not open relation 1919829/1152694/1921473: Read-only file system
ERROR: could not read block 312320 of relation 1964206/1152694/1981329:
Input/output error

PostgreSQL cannot make a file system read only.  The OS does that.

What do your system logs in /var/log have to say when this happens?
There's got to be more context in there than we're getting evidence of
here on the list.

In particular, if you're on a Linux system check the output of the "dmesg" command. I expect to see warnings about file system errors and about the file system being re-mounted read-only. I won't be surprised to see disk/raid errors either.

If we create a new database the problem is repeated after 20 or 25 days. Until
then we don't have any issues with the new database.

My guess is that it's not a fixed number, just what you've seen so
far, could happen in a day or a month or a year.

Do you do any RAID scrubbing? On what schedule? Do you test the disks that are part of your RAID array using their internal SMART diagnostics?

Is your server ever hard-reset or rebooted due to loss of power? (PostgreSQL is fine with this on a proper setup, but if you have a buggy RAID controller or one that caches writes without a battery backup, it's going to have issues).

--
Craig Ringer