On Jan 9, 2010, at 7:24 AM, Keaton Adams wrote:

> Restored from last evening's backup from the master DB to make the rsync
> across the network finish sooner.
> >>
> >> Shut down the PG instance on the slave machine
> >>
> >> Ran a script that does the following:
> >>
> >> select pg_start_backup('Master_Backup');
> >> rsync -rvlpogtz ${masterdb}/* ${slave_dbus...@${slave_host}:${slavedb}
> >> select pg_stop_backup();
> >> ssh ${slave_dbus...@${slave_host} rm ${slavedb}/postmaster.pid 2>/dev/null
> >> ssh ${slave_dbus...@${slave_host} rm ${slave_backup_path}/0* 2>/dev/null
> >> ssh ${slave_dbus...@${slave_host} ${PSQL_BIN}/pg_ctl -D ${slavedb} -l
> >> logfile start
> >
> > Is ${slave_backup_path} your archive directory?  Why are you deleting all
> > of you archives there?
>
> Also, what are the contents of your recovery.conf file?  Are you using
> pg_standby?  The typical setup is to clear <datadir>/pg_xlog on your standby
> and use pg_standby to recovery files directly from your archive directory?

> We are still on PG 8.3.7 and I don’t see pg_standby.  It looks like it was
> added with 8.3.8.  I will put in a request to update to 8.3.9 as a part of
> our next software upgrade (internal product we write) but for now  I need to
> try to figure out why this isn’t working under 8.3.7.  I did manage to bring
> up replication under 8.3.7 in the test environment just fine, so the question
> is now why the standby PG instance won’t come up in recovery mode and why it
> is looking so far back for the next WAL log file.
>
> -K

Keaton,

Please, don't top post (I've fixed it in this reply), it makes it difficult for
others to join the thread and know what's currently going on.

Anyways, with regards to pg_standby, it should be included in all versions >=
8.3.0.  Regardless, it will work with anything version since at least 8.2 so
you can just grab it from a source install and build it against your built
source tree or use your package manager of choice to get it.

Regardless:

> >> ssh ${slave_dbus...@${slave_host} rm ${slave_backup_path}/0* 2>/dev/null

You are doing that *after* you run pg_start_backup() so you're deleting WAL
files that are needed for the standby -- it needs all WAL files generated from
the start_backup() call on.

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability