On May 28, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Jignesh Shah wrote:

Trigger should be the last solution. This used to be working but I think with latest postgresql upgrade, this stopped working. Might be someone around here knows whats going on here.

I'm afraid not. It's never been allowed to have a variable in the expression for a DEFAULT value. To quote the manual:

DEFAULT default_expr
The DEFAULT clause assigns a default data value for the column whose column definition it appears within. The value is any variable-free expression (subqueries and cross-references to other columns in the current table are not allowed). The data type of the default expression must match the data type of the column.

A trigger is the appropriate solution in this case.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   x...@thebuild.com