On 10-07-29 02:57 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Samantha Atkins<sjatk...@mac.com>  writes:
Why is MySQL so much more popular right now, especially in the
OpenSource community?
I think it's strictly historical.  The mysql bias you see in so
many web tools was established in the late 90s, a time when mysql
worked reasonably well (at least according to the mysql developers'
notion of "reasonably well") whereas postgres was still pretty slow
and buggy.  It took us a long time to get from the original
academically-oriented code to something of real production quality.
We're definitely competitive now, but I don't know if we'll ever fully
overcome that historical disadvantage.

                        regards, tom lane

Postgres also had a reputation of being slow compared to MySQL.

This was due to a lot of really poor MySQL vs Postgres benchmarks floating around in the early 2000's. They generally tested stock configurations (MySQL had a less restrictive out of the box configuration) and they tended to test things like how fast can a single client insert/update/delete data from a table. Unsurprisingly, MySQL won, as Postgres imposed all sorts of pesky behind the scenes protection for your data that MySQL didn't worry about.

No one really tested it in a way that mattered, which was how the two databases performed under concurrent load, where Postgres won hands down.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106