சிவகுமார் மா wrote:
1. Almost all webhosting providers have MySQL support, but PostgreSQL
support is available from only a few who also have MySQL support.
Hence MySQL is universal and PostgreSQL is present as also available.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_hosting lists far more than "a few". I think the only real area to complain about here is that there are definitely multiple sources for free small-scale MySQL hosting, but none I'm aware of for PostgreSQL. I'm not sure what anyone here can do about that though.

a. Documentation is already available (PostgreSQL User Manual,
PostgreSQL Technical Documentation). Re-package them and publish as
books targeting different user levels.

Fultus already sells printed copies of the documentation. They're not very popular. Given that the trend everywhere is toward e-books, and you can get a free PostgreSQL manual in PDF form already, I'm not sure who exactly would be served by repackaging them in any way. What's needed here is completely new content.

b. Cook Books can be created from the discussions in this mailing list.

We've already been doing that on the -performance list successfully; a good portion of things people used to get individual responses to now can be directed toward an article from http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization instead.

The problem is that few discussions happen on these lists for things like "how do I get used to PostgreSQL after growing up on MySQL?" And that material will never be appropriate for the PostgreSQL documentation. I would highly encourage people to migrate their own personal notes on such things to the very under-maintained section at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#MySQL

3. The default configuration settings for PostgreSQL are not optimal
for performance. Can there be a recommended configuration file in the
installation (assuming certain amount of RAM and processor type) ?

This doesn't work because there are many different types of database applications, and what's optimal even as a starting configuration for each type is very different. Also, hardware changes pretty fast; you'd be hard pressed to write down useful generic recommendations (or insert them into the core database code) that are still relevant at all after a release has been out a few years.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us