Joshua D. Drake wrote:
"Can we just say in the docs say 25% of memory to shared_buffers"
Yes, in fact we can. With the caveat of Windows, the reality is this
isn't going to hurt nearly as much as a untuned version of PostgreSQL
will.

With modern servers often shipping with 72GB of RAM now, that would make shared_buffers set to 18GB. This is an absolutely disastrous setting for PostgreSQL in its current state; I'm seeing servers with that much RAM that suffer enormous problems with a far lower shared_buffers than that in production. I'm working on a doc patch to address this better before 9.0 goes out but I assure you this simple rule of thumb is already nearing its end of life as a good one for big systems.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us