So we are in the process of converting our databases from SQL_ASCII to UTF8. If a particular row won't import because of the encoding issue we get an error like:

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 5317; 0 1266711 TABLE DATA logs postgres pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x90 HINT: This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".
CONTEXT:  COPY logs, line 590744

So as far as I can tell, this identifies the table by name, logs in this case, and then identifies the actula record by line.

Question is, it would be really nice if we could figure out the actual column name in that table. Noting that I do get a line number that produced the error, but the fact that this is a binary dump makes it difficult to view that line.

Is there a way to view that data line without converting this dump to a text dump?

All I'd like to do is know which column in the table caused the problem so I could apply my fix to that particular column.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson